Bristol Zoo - a family day out
Bristol Zoo a great day out. Opened in 1836 by the Bristol, Clifton and West of England Zoological Society, Bristol Zoo is the world’s oldest provincial zoo. It is a Victorian walled zoo located near Brunel’s Clifton Suspension Bridge; it covers a small area (only 12 acres) by modern zoo standards, but with a considerable number of species. The Zoo offers a great day out for the family, a wonderful place to have fun and learn about our world, and all the wonderful creatures that inhabit it.
Excellence, innovation and conservation
Awarded ‘Zoo of the Year 2004’ by the Good Britain Guide, Bristol Zoo Gardens has a continuous reputation for excellence, innovation, and dedication to conservation. It’s the fifth oldest zoo in the world and the oldest outside of a capital city, and a long established major tourist attraction in Bristol.
With over 400 different species and nine animal houses, the Zoological Gardens offer the most wonderful panorama of wildlife from the world. A delightful way for children to learn while having the most exiciting time.
A selection of activities
See over 400 different species of animals, birds and reptiles
- Visit the award winning gardens
- Reptile House re-opening in November
- Twilight Zone - for those who like the dark
- Look in on the Aquarium
- Gorilla Island and Gibbon Island
- Bug World - for those who like ‘creepy crawlies’
- Zooropia – open every weekend during the winter months
- Coral Café
- Adventure Playground
- Asiatic Lions
How to get to Bristol Zoo
Follow the ‘Elephant’ signs located all round Bristol, and if you want to stay over The Whitehouse Guestrooms is ideally situated for a visit to Bristol Zoo.
- Walk to Bristol Zoo in 45 minutes
- Drive to Bristol Zoo in 10 minutes
Bristol Zoo is dedicated to the conservation of animal species and their habitats, and is proud of its educational role with children in the locality. Visit the zoo website for more information: www.bristolzoo.org.uk.
Hotel near Bristol Zoo
Book guestrooms at the Whitehouse Guestrooms, for good value bed and breakfast in Bristol, and use the comfortable guestrooms as your base for an exciting weekend in the city.
- En-suite bathrooms in all guest rooms
- Colour TV with FreeView (40 channels) in all guest rooms
- FREE wi-fi broadband access in all guest rooms
- Tea and coffee making facilities in all guest rooms
- Double glazed windows
- Towels provided
- Continental breakfast served to all guests
The Whitehouse Guestrooms are situated in a quiet residential street close to the city centre, with FREE private parking for all residents. This family run guesthouse is one of the best B and Bs in Bristol, so check availability now.